18 April 2012

Shanghai

On our flight to Shanghai, SAS took over.  We occupied 95% of the economy class.  I can only imagine what a swarm of English-speaking parents and students sounded like to the lonely Chinese passengers. The flight was delayed by an hour and our tour guides neglected to inform us until I asked them why we weren't leaving. We sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes as well.  When we are traveling with such a short amount of time in each country, every minute is important.
We ventured up to the top of the Shanghai World Trade Center and saw the lights of Shanghai start to illuminate.  At the very moment the lights started to turn on, we saw a man propose to his girlfriend. SO CUTE!!!
            On April 5th, the Semester at Sea Parent Trip Spring 2012 completed the 100 shot challenge at blue frog! We completed it with only a total of 12 people, all in one sitting. 
Shanghai was one of my favorite cities. I can't really put into words why, I think it felt a lot like New York City to me.  It was very modern and it had a young vibe. 
            Babies walking around without backs on their pants…? I saw so many babies butts! What was the purpose of this? My question was answered when I saw a mother holding her baby over a trashcan while the baby pooped.
            In regards to the one child policy, the Chinese mostly agree with this law. They do not believe they should have more than one child unless they can afford it.  The people that can afford to have another child can afford to pay the fine to the government for having this second child.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment